Friday, March 5, 2010

The Bite of the Serpent” by Sandra Crum Akers


“The Bite of the Serpent” by Sandra Crum Akers is a fun read. I went in thinking the Mound itself would be the mystery, so the murder totally threw me for a loop.  Paranormal intrigue and a killer on the loose make for a fast paced novel. There were a few places where the story started to lag in the middle, but not for long. By the time we reach the end we are reeling with anticipation. This book kept me guessing and kept me interested. There were twists and turns I never saw coming and just when I thought I’d figured out who dunnit, BAM! Totally surprised.

I had a hard time with some of the POV, particularly with the first person thoughts in an otherwise 3rd person story, and I had some unanswered questions about the Serpent Mound itself that I don’t feel got resolved. From the title I expected it to be more of a paranormal novel. I also would have liked to get to know Anne better, I never really felt like I understood her motivations. Overall, I would recommend this book to my friends and I look forward to reading the next one if the story continues, as it feels like it should. Did I smell a budding forbidden romance there at the end? 
Happy reading!

4 Bookmarks
Sherry Ficklin
Mind Fog Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment